Makes four to six servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. shiitake mushrooms, stems reserved for another use
- 1 cup walnuts
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 avocados, sliced (optional)
- 2 large mangoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 tsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 large jalapeños, seeded and chopped
- 2 large scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup lightly packed cilantro leaves
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
DIRECTIONS FOR SHIITAKE-WALNUT MIXTURE
- In a food processor, chop the onion. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and stir in the onions.
- In the food processor, pulse half the mushrooms until minced, then scrape into the skillet with the onions. Repeat with remaining mushrooms.
- Clean the processor container and add the walnuts. Pulse to mince. Reserve.
- Stir the mushrooms until they are shrunken and browned and the skillet is nearly dry. Add the garlic and stir for one minute.
- Add the chili powder, paprika, cayenne, oregano, and salt.
- Stir in the walnuts and cook until fragrant, about one minute.
- Remove from heat and keep warm.
DIRECTIONS FOR SALSA AND ASSEMBLY
- To make the salsa, combine the ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Warm the tortillas by toasting each one in a dry skillet over medium heat for about 30 seconds per side. Alternatively, wrap the stack in foil and warm in a 350-degree-F oven for 10 minutes.
- Serve ¼ cup of the filling and ¼ cup mango salsa in each tortilla. Top with avocado slices, if you choose.