Holistic dentist Steven Lin, DDS, offers nine quick tips to deal with sugar cravings.
If a sugar craving sets in, try one of the following antidotes to keep yourself from reaching for a sugary treat.
- 1 tbs. coconut oil: The medium-chain triglycerides in coconut oil will be absorbed quickly into your bloodstream, and this often stems sugar cravings.
- 1 tbs. of melted butter: It helps you feel satisfied with a vitamin-rich dose of fat.
- 1 tbs. sauerkraut: Even though it’s not very sweet, sauerkraut can help quell the body’s craving for sugar.
- 1 handful Brazil nuts. Brazil nuts are high in selenium, an element that reduces cravings for sweets.
- 1 handful coconut chips.
- A hot (or cold) shower. Resetting your body temperature can often disrupt the cycle of craving.
- Exercise! Go for a walk, run, or do 10 push-ups, jumping jacks, or star jumps.
- Green tea or peppermint tea.
- A diaphragmatic breathing exercise.
This is reprinted with permission from The Dental Diet: The Surprising Link Between Your Teeth, Real Food, and Life-Changing Natural Health.