Here are seven ways to connect with others through kindness.
- Surprise someone with an authentic compliment about how they handled something.
- Listen closely to an acquaintance who’s in need of being heard.
- Lend a hand to a stranger.
- Say a genuine “thank you” to the conductor on the train or the cashier at the grocery store.
- Let another driver cut in front of you with a cheery wave.
- Check in on your elderly neighbor and share coffee and a laugh.
- Smile and make eye contact with a stranger.
With one random act of kindness at a time, we help each other become more present and connected — and healthier, too.
Excerpted from How to Be Well, by Frank Lipman, MD. Copyright © 2018 by Frank Lipman, MD. Illustrations by Giacomo Bagnara. Used by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.
This originally appeared as “Connect: Practice Appreciation for Your Fellow Beings” in “6 Keys to a Happy and Healthy Life” in the July/August 2018 print issue of Experience Life.