- 1 bunch kale, tough stems removed, leaves coarsely chopped (about 4 cups)
- 2 to 4 cloves garlic, minced or sliced
- 2 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs. pine nuts
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Wash kale and allow water droplets to remain on leaves. In a small dish add garlic to olive oil, stir, and allow to sit. Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat and toast pine nuts until golden and fragrant, stirring constantly for about a minute. Remove nuts from pan. Add the garlic and oil to the warm pan and sauté over medium heat, stirring once to flavor the pan, then add bell pepper strips and season with salt and pepper (the salt will help the peppers release their moisture, which will keep the garlic from burning). Sauté peppers for about two minutes and add kale. Stir briefly, cover the pan with a lid, and turn heat to low. Cook for about two minutes, then stir. Cover again, turn off heat, and allow veggies to steam in the pan for two minutes before serving.