Mix and match ingredients within each category to reach the total measurement.
Base Ingredients: 1 cup rolled oats or coconut flakes
Flour: 1/3 cup almond flour, oat flour, hazelnut flour, coconut flour, or allpurpose flour
Ground Spices and Flavorings: 2–3 tsp. cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, citrus zest, cocoa powder, or espresso powder
Dried Fruits and Other Flavors: 1/2 cup dried cranberries, raisins, currants, dried figs, dried blueberries, cacao nibs, or crystallized ginger
Purées and Spreads: 1/4 cup nut butter, mashed banana, pumpkin purée, or unsweetened applesauce
Extracts and Juices: 1 tbs. citrus juice, vanilla extract, almond extract, or coconut extract
Liquid Sweetener: 1 tbs. maple syrup, honey, agave, molasses, or brown-rice syrup
Salt: 1/2 tsp.
Dates: 1/2 cup
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a 13-x-9-inch baking dish with parchment paper, allowing it to overhang the sides an inch or two.
- Place base ingredients and nuts or seeds in the bowl of a food processor and pulse several times until chopped into pebble-size pieces. Scrape nut mixture into a bowl.
- Add flour, spices or flavorings, and sea salt to nut mixture and stir until combined.
- Place dates in the bowl of the food processor and process until they form a paste.
- Add dried fruits, purées or spreads, extracts or juices, and liquid sweetener to dates and process until combined.
- Add half of the nut mixture to the food processor and process until combined. Add remaining nut mixture and process again.
- Scrape mixture into prepared baking dish. Place a second sheet of parchment paper over the mixture and press down firmly until the mixture forms one tightly packed layer.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until slightly golden at the edges.
- Let dish cool for 10 minutes, then use the parchment-paper edges to lift the uncut bars out of the dish. Place on a wire rack and cool completely before slicing into bars.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for one week or in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Freeze for up to three months and thaw before enjoying.