This year, our plans for the Super Bowl came together last minute. We decided we wanted to stay in and host the siblings and spouses, and we needed a meal plan that would be easy and that most everyone would enjoy.
Historically, that meant ordering pizzas and wings.
But not this year!
Kyle had a great idea to do a sandwich buffet. When we shared our goal to offer healthier food, we received “Yes, please!” texts back from the siblings. Seems they were remembering that stuffed and sick feeling from eating heavy foods at other Super Bowl parties in the past, too.
Here’s the menu we devised:
- Different cuts of meat (turkey, ham, roast beef, and salami because, well, it’s delicious)
- Slices of cheese
- Sourdough bread
- Whole-grain tortillas
- Large green-leaf lettuce for those going the grain-free route
- Snacks: Xochitl tortilla chips and salsa; pistachios
- Appetizer: homemade hummus with carrots sticks, celery, and broccoli, and Flackers
- Appetizer 2: lettuce wraps with a ground-turkey filling courtesy of Kyle’s sister
I was really excited to share the condiments I mixed earlier that day: pesto and spicy mayo. (I went with a lettuce wrap of turkey and pesto for my “sandwich.” And if you haven’t tried pesto with scrambled eggs, please do so soon.) And of course, I had to make my tried-and-true hummus, this time featuring fresh parsley.
How were your Super Bowl festivities? Any recipes to share?