Makes 12 servings
Preparation time: 60 minutes
- 6 small or medium zucchini (about 1½ lbs.), each cut lengthwise into 4 slices about ¼ inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup minced sun-dried tomatoes
- ¼ cup minced Greek kalamata olives, or an olive assortment
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 green onion, minced
- 16 oz. whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 6 eggs, beaten
- Olive oil
Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Arrange the zucchini slices on a lightly oiled sheet pan and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
Brush a 12-cup muffin tin with olive oil. When the zucchini slices are tender enough to be easily bendable, remove them from the oven, allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then line each muffin cup with a slice of zucchini.
Mix the sun-dried tomatoes, olives, basil, green onion, ricotta cheese, and eggs in a medium bowl until well blended. Pour into each muffin cup and then twirl a slice of the remaining zucchini into each muffin cup, arranging it like a pinwheel.
Bake the muffins for 20 to 30 minutes until just cooked. Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before removing from muffin cups; cool completely before chilling.