Makes 6 cups
- 8 ounces baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbs. butter
- 1 Granny Smith apple, diced
- ½ yellow onion, diced (about ½ cup)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (about ¾ cup)
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 6 fresh sage leaves, minced
- ½ cup toasted, chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup hot turkey stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
Sauté mushrooms in melted butter in a sauté pan until lightly browned.
Add apples, onions and celery and sauté until tender.
Mix wild rice, sage, walnuts and cranberries in a bowl, and stir in turkey stock to moisten. Season with salt and pepper.
If you are planning to stuff the turkey cavity (the traditional approach), cool the stuffing first.
To bake the stuffing separately, lightly oil a baking dish and fill with stuffing. Lightly cover the stuffing with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes; remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes, until stuffing is slightly browned and heated through.