Makes six servings
Preparation time: 30 minutes
- 1 tbs. minced gingerroot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. hot pepper flakes
- 3 tbs. brown-rice vinegar
- 2 tbs. honey
- 3 tbs. tamari
- 2 slices thick-cut, nitrate-free bacon, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds turnips, washed and cut into wedges
- 1 bunch collard greens, about 4 cups chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
Mix the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl.
Place the bacon in a large cast-iron skillet, and render fat over low heat. When the bacon is beginning to brown, add the shallots and caramelize them while the bacon crisps.
Turn up the heat to medium, and stir in the turnips until they are browned a bit on each side.
Mix in the greens and sauce, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the turnips are tender, about 10 minutes.
Stir in the green onions and serve.