Makes six servings
Preparation time: 30 minutes
- 1 tbs. minced gingerroot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. hot pepper flakes
- 3 tbs. brown-rice vinegar
- 2 tbs. honey
- 3 tbs. tamari
- 2 slices thick-cut, nitrate-free bacon, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds turnips, washed and cut into wedges
- 1 bunch collard greens, about 4 cups chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- Mix the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Place the bacon in a large cast-iron skillet, and render fat over low heat. When the bacon is beginning to brown, add the shallots and caramelize them while the bacon crisps.
- Turn up the heat to medium, and stir in the turnips until they are browned a bit on each side.
- Mix in the greens and sauce, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the turnips are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the green onions and serve.