- 3 cups cooked pumpkin or squash (butternut is a good choice), still hot
- About 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbs. best-quality pistachio, hazelnut or walnut oil
- 1/2 tsp. fine sea salt 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup whole, salted pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped
Preheat the broiler. In a food processor or blender, combine the squash, stock, oil and salt, and puree them. Taste for seasoning. Transfer the puree to a gratin dish, smoothing out with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle with cheese. Sprinkle with pistachio nuts. Place under the broiler just until the cheese is melted and the nuts are toasted — two to three minutes.
Recipe excerpted from Vegetable Harvest: Vegetables at the Center of the Plate by Patricia Wells (William Morrow Cookbooks, 2007).