Makes 2 1/2 cups
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 3 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced peeled peaches
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup pomegranate molasses (available in most grocery stores)
- 3 tbs. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tbs. tamari
- 2 tsp. tomato paste
- 1 to 3 tbs. chopped chipotle chili in adobo sauce (look in the Hispanic foods section)
- 2 tsp. minced fresh sage
Warm the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, salt, and cayenne; sauté until the onion is soft, five to seven minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, two to three minutes.
Transfer to a blender. Add the peaches, tomato sauce, water, vinegar, pomegranate molasses, lime juice, tamari, tomato paste, and chipotle chili; process until smooth.
Pour the sauce back into the saucepan and simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until thick, about 20 minutes. Stir in the sage and simmer for one to two minutes. Taste and season with more salt, if desired.
Use immediately or store in a tightly sealed jar in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Excerpted with permission from Afro-Vegan by Bryant Terry, copyright © 2014. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Penguin Random House, Inc. Photography © 2014 by Paige Green.