Makes eight servings
- 1/4 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions (about two large)
- 9 cups chopped, peeled parsnips (about 4 1/2 pounds)
- 4 cups chopped, peeled pears (about six medium)
- 2 cups diced, peeled Yukon gold potatoes (about 1/2 pound)
- 8 to 9 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, parsnips, pears and potatoes. Cook until the onions have softened, about two minutes. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until parsnips and potatoes are soft, 15 to 20 minutes. While the soup is simmering, stir in the nutmeg and thyme to blend the flavors into the soup.
Carefully ladle the soup into a blender and blend until smooth. Strain the soup through a fine mesh strainer or a colander lined with cheesecloth to remove any pulp. Return the strained soup to a pan and heat until hot. Season with salt and pepper.