Makes about 2 cups
- 2 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup minced yellow onion
- 2 tbs. minced shallots
- ½ tsp. salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (cremini, portabella, oyster, or shiitake)
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs. sherry or apple cider
- 4 tbs. heavy cream
Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat, and sauté the onion and shallots until light brown. Turn heat to low, add the salt and pepper, and stir occasionally until the onion and shallots are caramelized.
Add the mushrooms and sauté until they have softened and there is not a lot of moisture left in the skillet.
Remove ¼ cup of the sautéed mushroom mixture and reserve as a garnish.
Add the walnuts, thyme, vinegar, sherry, and cream to the pan with the remaining mushrooms, and cook over low heat for about five minutes.
Cool slightly, then blend in a food processor until smooth. Press the mushroom pâté into a dish for serving, and top with the reserved sautéed mushrooms.
Chill before serving.