If you want to spike this winter mocktail, substitute red wine for half of the apple cider or pour a little brandy into individual servings.
Makes eight servings
Prep time: Five minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes or more
- 2 qts. apple cider
- 4 to 6 bags hibiscus tea
- 2 tbs. mulling-spice blend (buy or make your own below)
- 8 orange slices or ¾ cup cranberries for garnish
- In a slow cooker or a large saucepan on the stove, add apple cider, tea bags, and spices. Simmer on low heat for at least 20 minutes.
- Remove tea bags and use a mesh skimmer or straining ladle to remove mulling spices; float orange slices or cranberries on top.
Suggested spirit: Pour a little brandy into individual servings, or substitute red wine for half of the apple cider to spike the whole batch.
- 4 tbs. cardamom pods
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken into pieces
- 2 tbs. whole cloves
- 4 tbs. whole allspice berries
- 2 tbs. dried orange peel, diced
- 2 tbs. candied gingerroot, diced for garnish
Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight jar.