- 1 small slice country bread
- 2 tbs. aged red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup marjoram leaves
- 3 tbs. drained capers
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup finely chopped parsley
- 2 tbs. pitted Greek olives
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Remove the crusts from the bread, then soak the bread in the vinegar on a plate.
Pound the garlic with 1/2 teaspoon salt in a mortar until smooth, then work in marjoram, capers, pine nuts, parsley and olives, until you have a coarse purée. Add the bread and the olive oil and work until the pesto is well amalgamated. Season with pepper, taste for vinegar, and add a little more if you think it needs it. The pesto will be very thick.