Makes six servings
Preparation time: 45 minutes
- 1 tbs. ghee or coconut oil
- 1 lb. lamb stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup diced yellow onion (about 1 medium)
- 2 tbs. minced gingerroot
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tbs. garam masala
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 15-ounce oz. can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chopped cauliflower
- 2 cups chopped collard greens
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Chopped scallions (optional)
Heat the ghee or coconut oil in a heavy 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven.
Sear the stew meat, then add the onion, ginger, and seasonings, and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, until onion and lamb cubes are browned.
Add the tomatoes, cauliflower, and collard greens, stirring to coat with seasonings, and cook for five minutes.
Add the chicken stock, cover, and simmer for 15 to 25 minutes.
When the lamb and vegetables are tender, check the seasonings, adding more salt and pepper if needed.
Serve in bowls with chopped fresh cilantro and, if desired, chopped scallions.