If you crave that popular party mix made with rice cereal, you are going to love this grain-free alternative. Loaded with B vitamins, this tastes surprisingly similar to the less-healthy version and is incredibly easy to prepare using any nuts or seeds you have on hand.
Makes 2 cups
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
- 1⁄2 cup raw almonds
- 1⁄2 cup raw pecans
- 1 cup hulled sunflower seeds
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- 1⁄2 tsp. chili powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. garlic powder
- 3⁄4 tsp. fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together all the ingredients. Spread the mixture on the prepared baking sheet in a flat, single layer without too many clumps.
- Bake for 35 minutes, tossing the mixture a couple of times throughout. Cool completely (the nuts will be crunchy once cool).
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week or in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Tip: Cooking raw nuts at a low temperature prevents browning, which can form acrylamide, a probable human carcinogen.
Reprinted with permission from No Excuses Detox, copyright © 2017 by Megan Gilmore, published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC. Photography copyright © 2017 by Erin Scott.
Why No Numbers?: Readers sometimes ask us why we don’t publish nutrition information with our recipes. We believe that (barring specific medical advice to the contrary) if you’re eating primarily whole, healthy foods — an array of sustainably raised vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, legumes, meats, fish, eggs, whole-kernel grains, and healthy fats and oils — you probably don’t need to stress about the numbers. We prefer to focus on food quality and trust our bodies to tell us what we need. — The Editors