Makes four servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 2 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 8 cups chopped broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, squash, or kale
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock, plus more to taste
- 1 cup fresh parsley, basil, or arugula
- 1 14.5–oz. can coconut milk
- 1 tbs. white miso paste
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat for 30 seconds, then add oil and heat until shimmering. Add onions and reduce heat to medium-low. Stir occasionally until golden and soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add vegetables and stir, then add stock. Cover the pot tightly and turn the heat to medium-high. Cook for about five minutes. Uncover and test the vegetables by piercing with a paring knife. Continue cooking until tender.
- Transfer vegetables to a blender with the parsley, basil, or arugula. Add coconut milk, miso, and salt. Secure the lid tightly and cover with a folded towel to hold the lid down. Purée until smooth. Add more stock as necessary to achieve desired consistency.
- Serve garnished with your favorite toasted nuts and chopped fresh herbs.