Makes four servings
Preparation time: 40 minutes
- 2 tbs. ghee, coconut oil, or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- Pinch of sea salt
- 4 cups peeled and diced assorted root vegetables
- 1/2 tsp. salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp. ghee, coconut oil, or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded
- 1 cup heavy cream or coconut milk
- 1 tbs. toasted-sesame oil
- Chopped fresh herbs to taste (e.g., rosemary, marjoram, sage)
- Heat the 2 tablespoons ghee in a large Dutch oven. Add the onions and a pinch of salt, and sauté until they’re beginning to brown, about five minutes.
- Add the root vegetables, salt, and pepper, and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the veggies begin to soften and turn light brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, cover, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Meanwhile, sauté the mushrooms in 1/2 teaspoon ghee, and set aside for garnish. When the vegetables in the soup are tender, add the cream and purée the soup.
- Serve the soup in bowls topped with the mushrooms, a drizzle of the toasted-sesame oil, and a sprinkle of chopped fresh herbs.