We use a spice-infused tea — not whiskey — as the base for this winter mocktail.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes or more
Makes eight servings
- 8 cups boiling water
- 8 bags tulsi (holy basil) tea, or 1/3 cup loose dried tulsi
- 4 thin (about 1/8 in.) slices fresh gingerroot
- 12 cardamom pods
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 whole star-anise pods
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- Honey, to taste
- Pour boiling water over the tea bags in a slow cooker.
- Add the ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, star anise, and lemon slices. Allow to steep for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove the spices with a mesh skimmer or straining ladle and set the cooker on the low or warm setting as guests help themselves.
- Add honey to taste.
Suggested spirit: Top off with a splash of whiskey.