A great side for Thanksgiving or any fall meal. To zing it up, replace the cheddar with pepper-jack cheese.
Makes six to eight servings
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup diced red bell peppers
- 1/4 cup diced jalapeño peppers (optional)
- 1 cup whole milk or coconut milk
- 4 eggs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Add butter to a 9-inch cast-iron skillet and place in oven to melt butter. Stir in 2 cups corn kernels, the bell peppers, and the jalapeño peppers if using. Roast for 10 minutes while you prepare the batter. Blend the remaining 2 cups corn kernels with the milk and eggs until frothy, and season with salt and pepper. Pour into the hot skillet and stir in the cheese. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until browned and puffed and cooked through. Serve warm.