Toasted almonds and beans add protein to this fresh fennel-and-onion slaw.
Makes six servings
Prep time: 15 minutes, plus time to soak and cook beans
- 1 cup cooked great northern, cannellini, or scarlet runner beans
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ½ cup grated Asiago cheese
- ½ cup chopped, lightly toasted almonds
- ¼ cup chopped Italian parsley
- 2 tbs. chopped mint leaves
- In a large bowl, add the cooked beans, fennel, onion, lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss until well combined. Add the cheese and toasted almonds and toss again.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and mint. Toss lightly once more and serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled.
Tip: Short on time? While home-cooked dried beans are more economical and often more flavorful, canned beans will work fine in most recipes. Look for organic beans in BPA-free cans, and check sodium levels, which can be high in canned varieties.