Makes eight servings
- 2 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 8 cups chopped root vegetables (parsnip, turnip, rutabaga, celery root)
- 3 tbs. tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh sage
- 1 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups dry cannellini beans, soaked overnight or for at least three hours, then drained
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed, leaves coarsely chopped
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the olive oil in the pressure cooker over medium-high heat, then add the onion and root vegetables and sauté together until just beginning to brown, about five minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, sage, salt, pepper, beans, and broth.
- Cover and bring to high pressure. Turn the heat down, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Use the quick-release method: Run cold water over the lid of the pressure cooker, and uncover. If the beans are not cooked through, cook at high pressure for another 10 minutes.
- Stir in kale to wilt, and top with Parmesan cheese.