Makes four servings
Preparation time: 3 to 10 hours
- 2 to 3 pounds turkey or chicken thighs or quarters, skin on, or 2 to 3 pounds grassfed beef, bison, or lamb shanks
- 3 to 4 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 3 to 4 celery ribs, chopped
- Handful of black peppercorns
- 1 to 2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 to 3 sprigs fresh rosemary or thyme
- 2 to 4 tbs. tomato paste (optional)
- 2 to 4 garlic cloves, to finish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place all of the ingredients except the garlic in a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven or Crock-Pot. Cover with water, to 2 inches above ingredients. Cook poultry in oven for up to 3 hours or in a Crock-Pot on low for 6 to 8 hours. Cook red meat in oven for 6 to 8 hours or in a Crock-Pot on low for 8 to 10 hours.
Serve the meat and vegetables with a cup of stock alongside. Use a garlic press to add a small clove of garlic to each cup of stock, along with some good sea salt.
Photographs copyright © 2014 by Mary G. Brackett.
Recipes adapted from Hilary Boynton and Mary G. Brackett’s The Heal Your Gut Cookbook and printed with permission from Chelsea Green Publishing.