You’re busy. We get it. With the coming and going daily rush of it all, it can be hard to be conscious of all the healthy choices we could be making. But with the little time you have, we’d all like to make more quick healthy, eco-conscious decisions.
So we’ve put together this guide of The 3 Quickest Ways for a Healthier Commute. It’s ideas for three small changes you can make…all on your way to work! They are also great gifts for the busiest person you know (and they’re all under $30!). They’ll love the fact that you’re making their morning commute a little healthier, greener, and more enjoyable!
Reusable Coffee Mugs
- Healthy – Avoids plastic #6, polystyrene, which lines paper cups and disposable caps and is considered a generally unsafe plastic (especially used in combination with heat). BPA-free stainless steel travel mugs are your best bet.
- Practical – Several leak-proof options. Plus save some change, as some coffee shops discount 10 cents when you fill up a reusable mug.
- Green – With an estimated 23 billion paper coffee cups used by Americans in 2010, a reusable mug is a small way to be more green. Studies show that after 24 uses, a reusable mug breaks even with the environmental impact of manufacturing a paper cup.
- Tasty – Keeps your drink hotter way longer!
- Peace of mind – I can’t get my coffee in a disposable cup anymore without worrying about the lining breaking down and melting into my drink.
Reusable Water Bottles
- Healthy – Avoids BPA, an endocrine disruptor with estrogen-like effects. Stainless steel and glass are a safer choice over BPA-free plastic bottles , the effects of which have not been sufficiently tested.
- Practical – Save money on buying disposable plastic water bottles.
- Green – Roughly 1.5 million tons of plastic are expended in the bottling of 89 billion liters of water each year (according to a 2011 report of the World Wide Fund for Nature).
- Tasty – No strange aftertaste with your water (drinks taste better in glass and stainless steel!)
- Peace of mind – No more worrying about how long the disposable plastic bottle was exposed to heat on the delivery truck, shipping dock, or in the back room at the store and if that led to the plastic leaching.
Reusable Lunch Gear
- Healthy – Completely BPA, phthalate, PVC, lead-free. Made from food-grade stainless steel, cotton, glass, or bamboo (plastics can leach into foods).
- Practical – Durable. Most are machine washable and leak-proof.
- Green – Keep as many as 1,000 plastic bags out of the waste stream.
- Tasty – Keeps colder foods cold, warmer foods warm (especially the vacuum insulated food containers).
Pick up a few of these picks for your favorite commuter and they can be stylish, healthy and safe!
Which is your favorite?