Resources for your sixth week of the Take Action Challenge — overcome roadblocks, set affirmations, and move forward!
- “I don’t even know where to start.” By starting small with a single surface or contained area, you give yourself permission to be done after that area is clutter free. There’s no pressure to keep going. Even if you start with your wallet, purse or trunk of your car, you’ve created some momentum. Find a tiny five-minute space and start there.
- “There’s no obvious home for the items that are creating clutter.” If they are worth keeping, they deserve a home. Try storing items nearest to where they’re used. For instance, instead of putting the phone book in the front closet, tuck it in the kitchen cupboard or shelf that’s closest to your phone. Rather than tossing your keys haphazardly on the entry table, place them in a pretty decorative bowl. If large quantities of stuff have simply overflowed their available storage space, it’s time to sort and toss or give some stuff away. Enlist help if necessary.
- I am willing to take 10 to 20 minutes each day this week to clear out some cluttered spaces.
- I am willing to finally let go of items that I’ve been holding on to for no good reason or that take up more space than they deserve in my life.
- I am willing to acknowledge that tolerating excessive clutter costs me.
- I am willing to start where I am and declutter one small space at a time.
- I am willing to develop new skills and attitudes that help me avoid accumulating clutter in the future.