17%: The percentage of food left uneaten at restaurants; 55 percent of restaurant-meal leftovers are not taken home.
1/4: The portion of all wasted food needed to relieve the 795 million people worldwide suffering from hunger and malnourishment.
23%: The percentage of all methane emissions in the United States generated by the decomposition of wasted food.
1/3: The percentage of all food that is wasted worldwide.
Reduce your food-waste footprint by following these tips:
- Buy smaller amounts of perishable foods so you use them more quickly.
- Freeze, preserve, or can surplus fruits and vegetables.
- Wash berries only when you are ready to use them to prevent mold.
- Plan your weekly meals and include ways to use leftovers, such as stir-fries, soups, smoothies, and frittatas.
- Buy only the items on your grocery-shopping list.
- Order only what you know you can finish when dining out and take leftovers home to eat later.
- Compost food scraps.