Certain aromas have powerful associations with the holidays. But many of the sugar-plum-scented candles and gingerbread air fresheners we can buy contain endocrine-disrupting chemicals that can pose myriad health risks.
Swap the store-bought options for all-natural scents using this simple technique. It requires only a handful of materials, and no flame or electricity.
- 1 8-oz. glass jar
- ¼ cup carrier oil (such as sweet-almond, olive, or fractionated coconut oil)
- 1 tbs. rubbing alcohol
- 20–30 drops essential oils
- 4–6 reed-diffuser sticks or bamboo skewers
1. Pour your carrier oil, rubbing alcohol, and essential oils into the glass jar. Stir or shake to combine.
2. If you’re using bamboo skewers, trim the pointy end. Place the diffuser sticks in your jar.
3. Turn the sticks over every few days to expose the ends that have been in the liquid to air. This will help refresh the scent.
Tip: Reed diffusers make great gifts! Mix the oils and alcohol in a jar with a lid or cork, and present it with a handful of reeds.
Essential Oil Blends for the Holidays
- Mix 10 drops cinnamon, 10 drops sweet orange, and 4 drops clove bud oil for a cozy, spicy aroma.
- Mix 10 drops frankincense, 10 drops cedarwood, and 4 drops fir-needle oil for a woody fragrance.
- Mix 8 drops cardamom, 6 drops cinnamon, 4 drops clove bud, and 2 drops nutmeg oil for a blend reminiscent of pumpkin pie.
- Mix 8 drops rosemary, 6 drops sage, 4 drops thyme, and 2 drops black pepper oil for an herby scent.
- Mix 10 drops peppermint, 10 drops bergamot, and 4 drops cypress oil for a bright, fresh fragrance.