Game day is synonymous with a particular sort of food: crowd-pleasing snacks. It’s the stuff that’s easy to eat while cheering from the comfort of your living room and pairs well with your beverage of choice. But an afternoon of greasy fare can often block your health goals, leaving you feeling like you’ve been sacked.
This game-day spread offers a different play, featuring lots of colorful, plant-forward dishes that are easy to assemble while still celebrating those familiar tailgate go-tos, like guacamole, onion dip, and buffalo chicken.
With a little pregame prep, you’ll have more-nutritious versions of your favorite game-time eats ready to enjoy by the coin toss.
Makes six servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 6 tbs. fresh lime juice (about 2 large limes, juiced)
- 3 cups fresh orange juice
- 1 tbs. maple syrup or cane sugar (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. nonalcoholic vanilla (optional)
- 3 cups lime-flavored sparkling water
- 1/2 cup rum or tequila, optional
In a large pitcher, combine the lime juice, orange juice, maple syrup or sugar, and vanilla. Chill until serving time, then pour in sparkling water and optional liquor and mix gently. Serve over ice.