Eat a balanced diet, including five helpings of vegetables and fruits a day.
- Exercise regularly (check with a doctor before starting an exercise program).
- Get regular health check-ups.
- Don’t smoke (it’s never too late to quit).
- Practice safety habits at home to prevent falls and fractures. Always wear your seatbelt in a car.
- Stay in contact with family and friends. Stay active through work, play and community.
- Avoid overexposure to the sun and the cold.
- If you drink, moderation is the key. When you drink, let someone else drive.
- Keep personal and financial records in order to simplify budgeting and investing. Plan long-term housing and money needs (reduces stress).
- Keep a positive attitude toward life. Do things that make you happy.
Tips for Healthy Aging
Here are the top 10 tips from the National Institute on Aging ( www.nia.nih.gov ).